Monday, April 4, 2011

Go Blow Eggs... the Modern Way

My Grandmother was a huge influence in my life. She was the matriarch of our creativity. One of the fond memories I have of her is us blowing out eggs together.

To blow out an egg, one must first make a small hole in the top and bottom. My Grandmother did this with a needle. Carefully gently work the needle to create a small hole on top and a slightly bigger hole and the bottom without cracking the egg. Not the least stressful thing you'll ever do.

Once you have the hole, and about half a dozen cracked eggs, you put the needle up in to the egg and twist it all around. You want to scramble the sucker so there are no yolk sacks intact to block your hole.

Then you put your mouth around the top and BLOW. Blow some more. Try harder. Keep at it. Here it comes. Shoot it went back up. Man, your face is red. Take a break. Blow again. All that for just a dribble? Try harder! And so on until, eventually, you have a break through and the slimy egg comes shooting out of the tiny hole. Now you have an empty egg to decorate and last forever.

Well, my good friend, Molly, and I wanted to get together and make empty eggs to decorate and have forever. So I collected about 3 dozen eggs from our chickens and headed over to her house with them, a few needles, my boys, and baked french toast for brunch.

First we eat. Then we start on the eggs. The needle I brought ( a leather awl) was consistently cracking the eggs. Frustrated to see any egg be wasted, Molly suggests we try a dremmel tool. I try to wait patiently without continuing to crack eggs with my needle while she and her husband Jon set up the dremmel.

Max almost PASTED OUT!!!!!Because he blew 16 eggs out!! (max wrote that)

Molly quickly figured out how to make perfectly round smooth tiny holes in the eggs with the dremmel. No more wasted eggs.... and we commence to blowing. After 10 minutes and near hyperventilation with only one egg each finished, Jon the tool man suggested the air compressor. I just laughed it off. I my mind the air compressor was a loud and scary monster that was used on giant metal machinery like trucks and tractors. Next thing I know there is a tube snaked into the dining room and Jon is poised to blow an egg with what looks like a tattoo gun for the Jolly Green Giant. I will not bore you with my account.... here is a video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KQaleS4pw&feature=youtu.be


After a bit of tweaking to the air pressure we had an assembly line: Molly at the dremmel, I scrambled the insides, and Jon, in the blink of an eye, blew out the egg. My Grandma was smiling down at the comedy and efficiency of it all.

2 comments:

William F. Renzulli said...

So what happened to all the eggs that didn't make it to the decorating stage?

happy internist said...

may no yolk sac block your hole... and hey, why didn't grandma decorate eggs with me?