Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How Long Did That Take You


If I had a nickel for every time I was asked how long it took for me to make a creation....

Despite the fact that I am asked all of the time, that question always catches me off guard. I am never sure how to answer.

Maybe that person thinks that worthy art should take countless hours and anything less than 3 weeks is junk. Or, if I say "3 hours" he/she might start some sort of twisted division of the price revealing a warped perception of what I make per hour and therefore a VERY warped idea of my annual income.

Sometimes I can't answer because I don't know. I don't clock in and out every time I run down the two flights of steps to stop the dogs from barking, catch the UPS man, check my email, use the bathroom, snag some dark chocolate, or skip work all together for a sick boy or a snow day.

I believe that my best paintings are actually the most spontaneous and easily achieved. If I have to labor over it, it sucks.

Felting is a different matter. Although I have become very adept at the craft, it takes as long as it takes; there is no fast fantastic snow hare or slow laborious sucky snow hare.

No matter what the art or craft, though, a wise man told me to answer, "it has taken me my life time."

Here is a mini snow hare in the works...



... after about and hour and 2 trips downstairs I've got the armature covered and ears made...


...about another 20 minutes, or was it 40, and the face is taking shape...


.... a finished face and ready for fur... after I check my email and have a cookie...


... somewhere between 1 and 4 hours later all fuzzy and sitting pretty ready to be photographed and listed on etsy.


2 comments:

William F. Renzulli said...

So...if you let the dogs bark, skip the cookies and the bathroom, and stay focused, you can cut the time down to one hour?!

Unknown said...

Skip the cookies?!!! Is he crqazy?!!!