Saturday, March 5, 2011

SKWERL!!!!

This morning I let the dogs out in to the yard for the first time of the day and they darted to surprise a squirrel as usual. But instead of the usual smart squirrel who keeps his nut hunt close to a tree trunk, the dogs were startled to find a squirrel in the chicken coop.

I guess the little fellow had found his way in to steal some grain or some of the kitchen scraps we share with the hens. Had he just laid low, he could have waited out the dogs presence. But no, his deep rooted instincts told him "run for the tree!" His escape was interrupted by a wall of chicken wire. Suddenly three dogs were charging around the chicken run.

How are they not getting me?! Why can't I get to that tree? Around and around he went like a motorcycle in the iron cage at the circus. In the coop. Out of the coop. Onto the wire. Onto the ceiling. Back into the coop.

And the hens! Clucking and strutting. What's going on here? I don't know, ask her? Why should I know? I can't see anything. Let me tilt my head this way, now that way, now take a step and tilt my head again. Who said that? What? Did you hear that?



And the dogs! It's in there. Got It! Nope. It's up there! What? Where? Who? What are we after? SKWERL! There it is! Bark! Bark! Barking does not help!



Finally the little guy found his way out through a small crack in the door. Three dogs were waiting there for him and the tree was a good 10 feet away. A slow motion recap would have put "The Matrix" to shame. A full body twist to the left as sharp fangs pierced the air. Leaping over the tenacious Jack Russel's head. Contorting his whole body while simultaneously launching onto the tree as jaws of death echo a loud "SNAP" on the right.

And then it was over. The dogs were left looking at each other and then up the tree and then at me. I can only imagine how alive that squirrel must have felt while he caught his breath in the tree tops.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great piece of writing, Sara. We know from your art that you are a great observer of animals...really get the behavior and action in this piece. Vividly! Good pics, too!