Saturday, March 12, 2011

Yard Sale Fever

As you may know, we are about to remodel our kitchen. First we have to clean it out entirely. Every single item from existing cabinets to mellon-baller HAS to find a new home. The most important 1/4 of our home will be ripped apart down to dirt and cinderblock walls. And while all of this is going on we will be using the converted dining room as our new family hub.

The upheaval will require me to be organized and to get organized I need to PURGE. I already have boxes of stuff piling up to go and I continue to clean out cabinets, closets, and drawers.

Every time I go trough the effort of weeding out the excesses of our lives, I think, "I should have a yard sale!" And every time I have a yard sale I think, "I am never doing this again!"

Do I really think that people want my cast away crap? Am I that desperate for a buck that I put myself through the yard sale ringer?

Box it up
Haul it out
Advertise it
Clean it
Tag it
Arrange it
Sit with it
Haggle over it
Load 99% of it back up
Deliver it to the Goodwill

On paper, the yard sale debocle appears to be "not working for me." And yet there must be something about it that I love. I must be "getting something out of it" if I am always drawn to do it.

I will ponder the yard sale psychology today while I sidestep the accumulating boxes of crap. I'll let you know what I figure out.

1 comment:

William F. Renzulli said...

I have a sign I made hanging in my studio. It reads...

EVERY DAY, THROW SOMETHING AWAY.