Friday, March 4, 2011

What Do You Do




We are invited to a party on the 12th. There are several problems with this. Finding a trustworthy babysitter in the Holler is slippery. Also, this means I will have to stay up past 8. Lastly, I will have to meet new people, chit chat, and answer questions about what I do.

For some people it's a walk in the park:
I am a lawyer. Okay got that. Very clear.
I am a computer programmer. Okay, I know nothing about that but I can easily picture you sitting in front of a computer at a desk.
I am in mergers and acquisitions. Mmmm, very impressive.

I am an Artist. Blank stare or overly eager head bob with a sip of their drink. I feel as if I have just tried to hand this person a cloud. I try to follow up with more details... I paint, mostly in oils and pastels. Ahhhh, I see. Then I feel as if I need to dig deeper: I am dedicated to my career path, honing my skills, selling in galleries and juried shows. My goal is to support my family some day and become a household name. I can tell I need more: I paint the rural landscape and people, horses, and dogs. My studio is in my home. A glimmer of recognition. I might have convinced him/her that I am a real artist! I also make and sell needle felted critters on etsy. Blank stare.

The home makers have it worse. I am also half homemaker so I am dealt a double whammy. You feel as if you should have a list of your daily head spinning chores and tasks to carry around and show people to justify how you spend your time. What do you do? Here, read this list.


I am guilty of falling back on it but I think the question should be ruled out altogether. Let's come up with a new icebreaker.

Perhaps back to: What's your sign?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My fellow horse friend at work knew your name... yes, I'm name dropping and bragging. So there.

Amy said...

Sara, I just love you writing! Have you added blogger extraordinaire to your list? Is there a book in your future? I think, yes!!!